Families First accepts all kinds of health insurance, including most private insurance plans, Affordable Care Act plans, NH Medicaid, MaineCare and Medicare, and we can help you find out if you are eligible for a free or inexpensive insurance plan.
No one is ever turned away from Families First due to lack of health or dental insurance or inability to pay. If no insurance is available to you, you may apply for a discount based on your income.
Open Enrollment for 2021 Marketplace Coverage
Nov. 1, 2021, through Jan. 15, 2022
- Enroll by December 15, 2021, if you want coverage to start January 1, 2022.
- December 16 through January 15, 2022: Enroll for health care coverage starting February 1, 2022. Open enrollment for 2022 is closed after this date.
If you already have ACA insurance, this is the time to look at the plans and see if anything fits better. Plans change every year, so don’t just roll over the plan you have now! We can help you review the plans and see if a different plan would save you money or better meet your needs in 2022.
If you don’t have coverage, this is the time to see if you are eligible.
Either way, we can help! Contact us by email or at 603-422-8208 ext. 3188.
How to get help exploring your options
Families First is here to help New Hampshire residents learn about options for affordable health insurance through the New Hampshire Marketplace and Medicaid. Our enrollment counselors will work with you to figure out which health insurance coverage you may be eligible for. (Maine residents should call York County Community Action at 800-965-5762.)
For your free enrollment appointment, contact our enrollment specialists by email or at 603-422-8208 ext. 3188. Please include your full name and phone number in your message.
What coverage am I eligible for?
Use the chart below to get an idea of what coverage you may qualify for, then scroll down to learn how we can help you get started. Both programs help pay for regular checkups, prescription drugs, ER visits, hospital stays, specialist visits, and mental health and substance use treatment.
|Health Insurance Marketplace (info)||Granite Advantage Health Care (info)
|Number in your household ↓||Offers reduced monthly premiums if your estimated 2022 annual household income is in the range below. You may also qualify for extra help with deductibles and copays.||Also known as Expanded Medicaid—offers free coverage for eligible adults ages 19-64 whose monthly gross household income is no more than …
|1||$17,775 – $51,520||$1,481|
|2||$24,041 – $69,680||$2,003|
|3||$30,306 – $87,840||$2,525|
|4||$36,571 – $106,000||$3,048|
|5||$42,836 – $124,160||$3,570|
|Note: Even if you don’t see your household income on the chart above, you or your children may be eligible for other types of Medicaid coverage. To learn more about and apply for NH Medicaid, visit this page.|
What You Will Need to Apply for Insurance
Please bring this information and documentation when you meet with your enrollment counselor:
- Social Security numbers
- Birth dates
- Pay stubs, W-2 forms, or other information about your family’s income
- Most recent tax returns (if any)
- Policy/member numbers for any current health coverage
- Immigration documents for any eligible immigrants who want health coverage (Get more info on this here)
- Information about any health coverage from a job that’s available to you or your family (even if you don’t take the insurance). You can use this Employer Coverage Tool
- Employers’ names, phone numbers and addresses, for all household members
- Home and mailing addresses for everyone applying for coverage
If you are applying for or renewing an Affordable Care Act plan, please also bring:
- Your written estimate of household income for 2021, including all sources of income and amounts. Write down how you figured this out! You may want to use this tool. An accurate estimate will help you get the correct tax credit – not too little and not too much. (If too much, you may have to pay some back to the government.)
- If you have a household member who has access to insurance at work, complete this employer coverage tool.
- List of the medications you and other household members take, providers you see, and hospital you prefer. This will help in choosing the plan that best covers your needs.
- If you lost your health insurance in the past six months, bring your loss-of-insurance letter and the insurance card for the plan that you lost.
If you have had Affordable Care Act insurance before and are renewing, please also bring:
- Your HealthCare.gov email address and password. Having this will allow you to best use your time with the enrollment counselor to set up your coverage for next year. If you don’t have it, you can set up an account or retrieve your login info at HealthCare.gov, or call 1-(800) 318-2596. 2)
- Notices from your current plan that include your plan ID#
More About “Expanded Medicaid” (aka Granite Advantage)
This program is for adults (ages 19-64) residing in New Hampshire whose incomes are below certain levels (see chart above). You may apply at any time during the year. Once enrolled, you will pay little or nothing for your medical appointments at Families First, specialty care, hospital services, prescriptions, blood work and other tests!
Under the Granite Advantage Health Care Program coverage is provided through either NH Healthy Families, Well Sense Health Plan or AmeriHealth Caritas. Learn about these plans here.
Don’t forget: For your free enrollment appointment, contact our enrollment specialists at 603-422-8208 ext. 3188 or send us an email. Please include your full name and phone number in your message. (Maine residents should call York County Community Action at 800-965-5762.)
MORE ABOUT MARKETPLACE INSURANCE
In addition to gathering the information and documents listed above, you may want to use this online shopping tool to see what plans you might buy and compare coverage details and costs.
If keeping your current doctors is important to you, call your doctors and ask them which of the Marketplace insurance plans they accept. Families First is in-network for Ambetter, Anthem, and Harvard Pilgrim. This Marketplace Plan Selection Worksheet may help you.
For more information on the Health Insurance Marketplace:
- Visit HealthCare.gov or contact the HealthCare.gov call center, which is open 24/7, at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325).
GETTING HEALTH INSURANCE OUTSIDE OF OPEN ENROLLMENT TIME
If you need health insurance outside the Open Enrollment period, always contact our enrollment counselors, by email or at (603) 422-8208 ext. 3188. If you are eligible for Medicaid, you can enroll at any time. And Marketplace insurance is available outside of the Open Enrollment period if you or any household member has had a change in your life circumstances, such as job a birth or death, marriage, change in employment, a loss of health insurance coverage, or a move to New Hampshire. If you’ve experienced any of these “qualifying events,” make sure to contact us about getting insured within 60 days of the event.