Throughout your pregnancy, Families First’s prenatal team will help you get what you need to be a healthy parent, deliver a healthy baby and get your baby off to the best possible start in life. From obstetric care, to preparation for breastfeeding and parenting, to health education, to help getting resources for your family, we’ve got it all right here for you.
A Whole Team of People on Your Side
Your prenatal care team at Families First includes:
- A women’s health nurse practitioner
- A registered nurse to coordinate all your prenatal care
- A nutritionist to help with healthy eating during pregnancy, referrals to places that provide healthy food, and info about infant nutrition and breastfeeding.
- A social worker to help you find resources to meet your needs, including helping with applications for enrollment in Medicaid insurance coverage.
- A counselor to help you stop, or cut down on, using tobacco and other substances if needed.
- Childbirth education classes on-site at Families First
- A home visitor, if you like, to give you support and information after your child is born
Don’t worry about money
Our Prenatal Program is affordable. In New Hampshire, Medicaid will usually cover prenatal care. If you don’t have insurance, we’ll help you see if you’re eligible for it and apply. If you do have insurance, we accept Medicaid, as well as most private insurance plans. If you can’t get insurance, we’ll offer you a sliding fee discount. No one will be turned away due to lack of insurance or ability to pay.
We Make It Easy
The Prenatal Program is easy to access. For prenatal patients who already have children, free child care can be arranged during appointments. Transportation assistance may be available. All services (except infant delivery and ultrasounds) are provided under one roof, at the beautiful Community Campus in Portsmouth.
You’re Not Alone
Your connection to Families First doesn’t end when you give birth. We have many things in place here to support you on your parenthood journey. We hope that both you and your baby will come to Families First for primary care, including our Well Child Program (see “Pediatric Care” link at upper right). We have a Babytime group where you and your baby can come to learn, play and socialize with other young families, a group for mothers experiencing postpartum depression, home visiting, parenting classes, dental care and more.