Women's Health Screenings
Did you know cervical cancer is one of the easiest female cancers to prevent? And that mammograms save thousands of lives each year by finding breast cancer early enough so that it can be treated?
To help as many women as possible have access to these life-saving tests, Families First offers free Pap tests, clinical breast exams, and referrals for free mammograms. To be eligible for these screenings, women must be age 40 or older; be uninsured or have health insurance with a high deductible; and meet household income guidelines – for example, an annual income of no more than $27,925 for a single woman. Women younger than 40 who haven’t had a Pap smear in more than three years are also eligible. More info
To take advantage of the free screenings:
- If you are already a Families First Health Center patient, call 603-422-8208 ext. 1 to schedule an appointment. (Interested in becoming a patient? Call the same number, or click for info on becoming a patient.)
- If you are not a Families First patient and would like information about screenings that are open to the general public, call Jane Cummings at (603) 422-8208 ext 222 or send an email. The next public screening will be February 27, 2014, in the evening. (Click for a flyer to print and post.)
At Families First, we understand that many women have busy lives and various things can get in the way of taking care of oneself. We work to help you overcome those barriers.
Don’t put off taking care of your health because…
… you don’t think you can afford it. As noted above, Families First offers free breast and cervical cancer screenings for uninsured, income-eligible women. Also, Families First Health Center accepts private insurance, Medicaid and Medicare. And no one is ever turned away from Families First Health Center due to lack of insurance or ability to pay. Uninsured patients are offered a sliding fee scale based on their income. Follow these links for information on types of insurance accepted and our sliding fee scale for the uninsured.
… you don’t have a babysitter. We offer child care during some appointments. Just ask the receptionist to schedule your appointment for a time when child care is available; then call (603) 422-8208 and press “2” to reserve a spot for your child in child care.
… your schedule is unpredictable. We offer walk-in hours for established patients on Tuesday and Friday mornings starting at 7:30am. We sometimes have early-morning and evening appointments. We have breast and cervical cancer screening clinics periodically in the evenings.
… you don’t have a ride. Families First is on COAST's Lafayette Road Trolley route, and we are sometimes able to assist with transportation in other ways. If you need help with transportation, let a Health Center receptionist know at the time you make your appointment (603-422-8208 press 1).
… you prefer to see a male or female provider. At Families First you can request which provider you would like to see and our staff will do their best to accommodate you. We have several female providers, including a nurse practitioner who is board-certified in women’s health.
… it’s been so long since you saw a health care provider that you’re not sure where to begin. Our health care team is knowledgeable and can help with screenings and health care information without overwhelming you.
… you’re currently without a permanent place to stay (are staying with a friend or relative, in your car or a motel). In addition to welcoming people experiencing homelessness at our Health Center, we have a mobile health care team that visits Cross Roads House shelter and other convenient sites in Rockingham and Strafford counties. Click for more information.
- NH Dept. of Health and Human Services “Breast and Cervical Cancer Program” web page
- “Free Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening” brochure (includes listing of screening sites statewide, income-eligibility guidelines and other program information. PDF document)
- Frequently asked questions about cervical cancer screening (Word document)
- Cervical cancer screening quiz (Word document)