Mobile Health Care
Families First offers a caring approach to delivering comprehensive health services to people who are without stable housing and without access to a regular medical provider. Mobile services are provided in conjunction with Families First Health Center, offering continuity of care with one electronic medical record, and access to a nurse for medical advice 24 hours a day.
Launched in 2003, Mobile Health Care teams provide services five days a week in five towns within the Greater Seacoast area. About 770 patients were seen in 3,000 visits last year. The teams provide services from our two health care vans and sometimes inside buildings.
Who is eligible to use these services?
Mobile health care is primarily for people in an unstable or temporary living situation, such as living in a shelter, rooming house, winter rental or car; couch surfing; or camping or living outdoors. Services are also provided for seniors living at Margeson Apartments and Feaster Apartments in Portsmouth.
How can people access services?
No appointments are necessary. Patients can just show up at one of the locations at the beginning of the session. (See schedule below.) Patients can pay with Medicaid or other insurance if they have it. For patients who are uninsured, there is no charge.
What services are provided?
• Direct services: Preventive screenings, sick visits, chronic disease management, dental care, access to medications, substance abuse counseling, mental health counseling, family support, access to specialty care, labs and diagnostic testing.
• Application assistance for: Housing, food stamps, WIC, TANF, disability, Medicare, Medicaid and other health insurance, veterans benefits, etc.
How can I get more information?
• For questions about the program, call Sue at (603) 422-8208 x107.
• For direct patient assistance, call (603) 422-8208 for Kim (x303) or Emily (x129).
• Click for a printable brochure with schedule or stand-alone schedule
When will the mobile health care team be in my area?
The following schedule is usually in effect, but be sure to call to check for changes. To check the schedule, call toll-free 1–888–922-0005, or 766–9220 from the Portsmouth area.
- Cross Roads House, 600 Lafayette Rd. Mondays, 8:30-11 a.m.; Wednesdays and Thursdays, 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Families First Health Center, Community Campus. Wednesdays, 4-6 p.m.
- Salvation Army (upstairs), Middle St. Tuesdays, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Seacoast Community Church, Lafayette Rd. Tuesdays, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- St. John’s Episcopal Church, Chapel St. Thursdays, 11 a.m to 2 p.m.
- Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Please call 1-888-922-0005 to confirm location.
-- Winter: Hampton Beach, Ashworth parking lot
-- Summer: Salvation Army, Lafayette Road
- Salvation Army, Lafayette Rd. Fridays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- St. Vincent de Paul Society, 53 Lincoln St. Wednesdays, noon to 2 p.m.
- Train Station, Chestnut St. Wednesdays, 9-11 a.m.
- Salvation Army, 10 Olde Farm Lane. Mondays and Wednesdays, noon to 2 p.m.