Mobile Health Care
for people experiencing homelessness
Families First offers a caring approach to delivering comprehensive health services to people who are without stable housing and without access to a regular medical provider. Mobile services are provided in conjunction with Families First Health Center, offering continuity of care with one electronic medical record, and access to a nurse for medical advice 24 hours a day.
Launched in 2003, Mobile Health Care Services operates two vans, five days a week in five towns within the Greater Seacoast area. About 700 patients were seen in more than 2,700 visits last year. (One of the vans — "Big Blue," shown above — urgently needs to be replaced. Click here to see how you can help.)
Who is eligible to use these services?
Mobile health care is for people in an unstable or temporary living situation, such as living in a shelter, rooming house, winter rental or car; couch surfing; or camping or living outdoors.
How can people access services?
No appointments are necessary. Patients can just show up at one of the locations at the beginning of the session. (See schedule below.) Patients can pay with Medicaid or other insurance if they have it. For patients who are uninsured, there is no charge.
What services are provided?
• Direct services: Preventive screenings, sick visits, chronic disease management, dental care, access to medications, substance abuse counseling, mental health counseling, family support, access to specialty care, labs and diagnostic testing.
• Application assistance for: Housing, food stamps, WIC, TANF, disability, Medicare, Medicaid and other health insurance, veterans benefits, etc.
How can I get more information?
• For questions about the program, call Sue at (603) 422-8208 x107.
• For direct patient assistance, call (603) 422-8208 for Kim (x303) or Emily (x129).
• Click for a printable brochure or schedule
When will the mobile health care team be in my area?
The following schedule is usually in effect, but be sure to call to check for changes. To check the schedule, call toll-free 1–888–922-0005, or 766–9220 from the Portsmouth area.
- Cross Roads House, Lafayette Rd. Mondays 8:30-11 a.m. and Thursdays 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Families First Health Center, Community Campus. Wednesdays, 4-6 p.m.
- Salvation Army (upstairs), Middle St. Tuesdays, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Seacoast Community Church, Lafayette Rd. Tuesdays, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- St. John’s Episcopal Church, Chapel St. Thursdays, 11 a.m to 2 p.m.
- Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Please call 1-888-922-0005 to confirm location.
-- Winter: Hampton Beach, Ashworth parking lot
-- Summer: Salvation Army, Lafayette Road
- Salvation Army, Lafayette Rd. Fridays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- St. Vincent de Paul Society, 53 Lincoln St. Wednesdays, noon to 2 p.m.
- Train Station, Chestnut St. Wednesdays, 9-11 a.m.
- Salvation Army, 10 Olde Farm Lane. Mondays and Wednesdays, noon to 2 p.m.