Parent and Family Programs
Regardless of the makeup of your family, the Family Center at Families First is a comfortable, safe place to meet with other parents, enjoy your children and gain new skills and confidence as a parent. Many programs are free, and all include free child care.
Parenting classes allow parents and other caregivers to find out the latest information on raising children and share ideas from their own experience. More info
Parent Groups give parents and other primary caregivers a chance to get a break, relax and feel connected with others. More info
Family Programs include Family Fun Night (for families facing stresses such as homelessness) and playgroups for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers to attend with their parents. Programs are offered in several locations. More info
Individualized Family Support includes support, education, and referral programs for families, often provided in the home. Family workers help families identify needs, access services, advocate for themeselves and their children, and learn skills to reduce stress and improve family life. They also provide support and education about infant, child and adolescent development to help parents understand their children's needs. For New Hampshire residents only. More info
Free child care is available for children ages birth through 12 whose parent or guardian is attending a parenting class or medical or dental appointment at Families First. (Exceptions may be made for children over 12; please call 603-422-8208 ext. 2 to discuss.) A meal or snack is included.
• Reservations are required to make sure a spot in child care is available and saved for your child. This may be done in person at the Family Center window; by calling (603) 422-8208, ext. 2; or when registering online for a parenting class or parent group.
• For child care during a medical or dental appointment, please let the receptionist know that you need an appointment during a time when child care is available (Tuesday through Friday, 9-12). Then, follow instructions above to reserve your child's spot.
• Advance notice is needed if you can’t keep your reservation or will be late! (Parents who break a reservation without calling may have limitations placed on their ability to make future reservations.)
All parent and family programs are free unless otherwise noted. Also, programs are ALWAYS free for Families First Health Center patients and families in our Home Visiting programs. For those programs that do have a fee, please note:
• If your family is not able to pay the fee, please call ahead to ask that your fee be reduced.
• For parenting classes: Most parenting classes are free, but for those few classes that do have a fee, the fee must be paid in advance; call 603-422-8208 (press 2). Payment plans are available. The fee for a second household member is half-price.
• For Toddler, Terrific Twos and Preschool Playtime: Fees do not have to be paid in advance.
PARENT & FAMILY PROGRAMS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD
Families First has responded to community needs by offering our parenting programs in several locations in Rockingham County. Building on our relationships with community partners such as the Family Assistance Network, Lower Seacoast Youth and Family Coalition, Easter Seals, local school systems and community centers, Families First has expanded its parent programming in Rockingham County. If you’d like us to bring parenting and family programs to your town, contact Family Services Director Georgie Clark at 603-422-8208 x314 or by email.