Parent and Family Programs
Regardless of the makeup of your family, the Family Center at Families First is a comfortable, safe place to meet with other parents, enjoy your children and gain new skills and confidence as a parent. Many programs are free, and all include free child care (advance registration needed).
In 1999, Families First’s Family Center received the New Hampshire Children´s Trust Fund's first Smith Foundation Award for Excellence in Service to Families. The Family Center serves as a model statewide for family resource centers.
SUMMARY OF PARENTING & FAMILY PROGRAMS
Follow links to learn more.
Group Programs for Parents and Families
Parenting classes allow parents and other caregivers to find out the latest information on raising children and share ideas from their own experience. Parent Groups give parents and other primary caregivers a chance to get a break, relax and feel connected with others. Family Programs include Family Fun Night (for families facing stresses such as homelessness) and playgroups for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers to attend with their parents. Programs are offered in several locations. Follow these links for program listings in text (with links to online registration), 1-page PDF, or Google Calendar format.
Individualized Family Support
Families First offers individualized support, education, and referral programs for families, often provided in the home. Family workers meet with families to identify needs, access services, and learn skills to reduce stress and improve family life. They also provide support and education about infant, child and adolescent development to help parents understand their children's needs. For New Hampshire residents only. More info on individualized family support ...
FREE CHILD CARE WHILE YOU ARE AT FAMILIES FIRST
Free child care is available for children ages birth through 12 whose parent or guardian is attending a parenting class or medical or dental appointment at Families First. (Exceptions may be made for children over 12 if necessary; please call 603-422-8208 ext. 2 to discuss.)
• Child care during evening parenting classes includes dinner for kids.
• For child care during a medical or dental appointment, please let the receptionist know that you need an appointment during a time when child care is available. Then, call the number below to reserve your child's spot in child care.
• Reservations are required to guarantee your child's spot in child care; call (603) 422-8208, ext. 2.
• Advance notice is needed if you can’t keep your reservation or will be late! (Parents who break a reservation without calling may have limitations placed on their ability to make future reservations.)
PARENT & FAMILY PROGRAMS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD
Families First has responded to community needs by offering our parenting programs in several locations in Rockingham County. Building on our relationships with community partners such as the Family Assistance Network, Lower Seacoast Youth and Family Coalition, Easter Seals, local school systems and community centers, Families First has expanded its parent programming in Rockingham County. If you’d like us to bring parenting and family programs to your town, contact Family Services Director Georgie Clark at 603-422-8208 x314 or by email.
IN CASE OF STORMY WEATHER ...
Whenever the weather looks questionable, please call (603) 422-8208. If Families First is closed or has a delayed opening, you will hear an announcement immediately. You can also find the latest info on our Facebook page, which can be viewed from the bottom of the home page of our website.
- If Families First is open but you cannot make it here for a medical or dental appointment: Please press "1" to let our staff know, as always.
- If Families First is open and you were planning to attend a parenting or family group: Sometimes groups are canceled even when Families First is open, so please press "2" to find out if the group is being held. (Morning programs are always canceled when schools are closed or delayed in the town where the program was scheduled to be held.)
All programs are free unless otherwise noted. Also, programs are ALWAYS free for Families First Health Center patients and families in our Home Visiting programs. For those programs that do have a fee, please note:
• If your family is not able to pay the fee, please call ahead to ask that your fee be reduced.
• For parenting classes: Most parenting classes are free, but for those few classes that do have a fee, the fee must be paid in advance; call 603-422-8208 (press 2). Payment plans are available. The fee for a second household member is half-price.
• For Toddler, Terrific Twos and Preschool Playtime: Fees do not have to be paid in advance.